Screens have become an integral part of life in the digital age, causing a rise in the prevalence of myopia. Myopia affects vision and poses risks to eye health. Fortunately, there is a solution that combines the benefits of orthokeratology with the demands of the digital era.
Nearsightedness or myopia causes distant objects to occur blurry while near ones stay clear. It is a refractive error that occurs when the eyeball gets elongated. It can also develop when the cornea is excessively curved. It leads to light rays focusing before the retina instead of on it. Myopia affects people of all ages, but it tends to develop in childhood and progress until early childhood.
The Digital Age and Myopia
The digital age has impacted many people's visual habits. With the widespread use of digital devices, people spend more time in near-work activities. Prolonged near work and limited exposure to outdoor environments are harmful. They increase the risk of myopia development and progression.
Orthokeratology: A Solution for Myopia
Orthokeratology is also called ortho-k or corneal reshaping therapy. It is a noninvasive method of correcting myopia. It entails wearing specialty gas-permeable contacts overnight. The lenses gently reshape your cornea, allowing for clear vision in the daytime without needing contact lenses or glasses.
How Ortho-k Works
Ortho-k lenses flatten the central cornea and reduce eyeball elongation. They help correct myopia. These lenses are rigid and gas-permeable, allowing oxygen to reach the cornea during wear. The lenses gently mold the cornea to the desired shape while worn overnight. This provides temporary myopia correction.
Benefits of Ortho-k in the Digital Age
Ortho-k offers several advantages in managing myopia, especially in the digital age:
· Clear Vision Without Glasses or Contacts - One of the primary benefits of ortho-k is providing a clear, unaided eye during the day. It is ideal for individuals who rely heavily on digital devices. They can experience visual clarity without the hassle of glasses or contact lenses.
· Slowing Myopia Progression - Ortho-k can slow myopia progression. It is crucial in preventing severe complications like retinal detachment and macular degeneration. Ortho-k reduces eyeball elongation by reshaping the cornea.
· Convenience and Flexibility - Ortho-k lenses allow individuals to enjoy clear vision throughout the day. You wear them overnight while you sleep and enjoy your day without needing corrective eyewear.
· It benefits professions that require optimal vision without the hindrance of glasses or contact lenses.
· Improved Quality of Life - Myopia can impact your quality of life. It affects your ability to handle daily activities. Ortho-k can offer a significant improvement in quality of life. It provides clear vision and reduces dependence on glasses or contacts. It also leads to enhanced confidence and convenience.
Integrating Ortho-k With Digital Habits
Integrating ortho-k with mindful digital habits and regular eye care can manage myopia. These include taking breaks from screens, maintaining good posture, and adjusting display settings. It can also protect your vision in the digital age. Consult an optician to determine if ortho-k is suitable for you. They will give you personalized guidance for your eye health journey.
For more about orthokeratology, visit VisualEyes at our office in Fayette or Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Call (205) 932-5286 or (205) 861-2020 to book an appointment today.